Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

The Utopia of Dystopia


Throughout the last year, I have been working on a Dystopian Novella, Majority Vote. I have always felt passionately about Dystopian Literature as a whole.  And it was this passion that inspired me to write my own story.  I researched our current economy and based my future society on our government.  Dystopian literature always depicts a futuristic society which was originally intended to be a Utopia (perfect society) but failed.  All authors base their government structures on the world around them.  My world is a Perfect Democracy.  Every citizen must vote daily and every law is based entirely on these votes.

If you would like to hear more, then feel free to come to my Honors Presentation on November 29th in Room 131 of the BLC.

For a taste of what you will be learning about at the presentation, I have included the first paragraph of Majority Vote:
An outsider would have assumed it was a house; built for a loving couple with dreams of raising at least three children and a dog named Benedict.  The Department of Financial Management was an office complex masquerading as a home.  The faux Tudor frame added to the pretense of simplicity and traditional values.  Flawed dark wood crisscrossed a plain white frame − every government building wished it could be a home.  The stigma of a giant government lording over the people only existed in history books.  Government officials did not live in massive castle-like houses; for the people were the government.”


~Rosalyn Forbes

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home