Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

When God Doesn’t Make Sense- By James Dobson

Whether be it today, a month from today, or in ten years, I can assure you of one thing, we will at one point ask God, “ Why?!?” Why me? Why now? And we may even proudly scoff, “I could do better than this! You have NO idea what this is doing to my life.”


As if he didn’t already know what was happening and as if he forgot to wear his glasses today and was too far off to see you crying fountains in your bedroom. Well let me assure you of this: 5 The Lord watches over you- the Lord is your shade at your right hand; 6the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.( Psalm 121: 5-6) He sees everything your going through, and He knows exactly what’s happening…even when it seems otherwise.

Dr. James Dobson makes it clear that he cannot answer the enduring “Why?” But he says this: “God always makes sense even when he doesn't make sense” Often when we are in the midst of trials we feel as if we’ve been abandoned by God. As if he really couldn’t care less about what’s happening with us, and we too quickly lose our faith and write God off as an uncaring and blind God. Our emotions and feelings….honestly, they are not the most reliable. If you’ve ever “followed your heart”, as you know the saying goes, you’ve probably often found yourself wondering why you ever did that. (Jeremiah 17: 9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? ) “Establish your foundation not on ephemeral emotions but on the authority of the written Word. He promised never to leave us (Matthew 28:20).” (When God Doesn’t Make Sense- James Dobson)

So even when God doesn’t seem to make sense to us, He still makes sense… because He is God and we are not, and when we “feel” like He is doing a bad job, we need to stand upon the firm foundation of God’s promise. (Yes, I acknowledge, it is much more easily said than done. But with God’s empowerment….it is possible.)

God told Job…

Job 38: 4-8 4"Where were you (E)when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding,
5Who set its (F)measurements? Since you know.
Or who stretched the line on it?
6"On what (G)were its bases sunk?
Or who laid its cornerstone,
7When the morning stars sang together
And all the (H)sons of God shouted for joy?
8"Or who (I)enclosed the sea with doors
When, bursting forth, it went out from the womb;

And just like Job, our response should be :

1Then Job answered the LORD and said,
2"I know that (A)You can do all things,
And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.
3'Who is this that (B)hides counsel without knowledge?'
"Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand,
Things (C)too wonderful for me, which I did not know."
4'Hear, now, and I will speak;
I will (D)ask You, and You instruct me.'
5"I have (E)heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
But now my (F)eye sees You;
6Therefore I retract,
And I repent in dust and ashes."

Lord, help us to trust your Sovereignty even when we foolishly think we can be more sovereign. Forgive us for our faithlessness and for our relying on ourselves.

~Grace Sulaiman

The book can be found in the PBU Library here:
BT732.7 .D628 1993

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home