Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Those Books


Over the course of the semester I was privileged in attending two Christian conferences: one for Reformation day, and another on the Gospel and suffering. At these conferences I was confronted with one of my greatest weaknesses, copious amounts of books for sale. As I perused the titles between sessions, I was once again reminded of the great heritage that Christianity has with literature. Not only do we as Evangelicals hold onto Sola Scriptura, but we have amassed an incredible amount of good Christian books to help us understand and study the Bible. Now, don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of lousy Christian books out there too – probably more than not. However, I think as Christians in the 21st century we have the incredible privilege of engaging and learning from great saints in the past who wrestled with many of the same issues and texts of Scripture that we do. 

I am also reminded of this fact every time I walk through certain isle of our library. One of my favorite isles on the second floor contains shelves of Puritan literature, Spurgeon sermons, books written by Dietrich Bonheoffer and others, . Sometimes I wish I would walk by and see more spaces in those shelves, but I fear many people get intimidated bored by reading the old dead guys on theology. While their writing style may be vastly different than our own, I would strongly encourage you to search out the library, and dig into some of the great resources therefrom.


We often talk of the fact that we are the church, and that is most certainly true, but I think we often forget to think of ourselves in terms of the invisible Church. The invisible Church, as most theologians describe it, is the body of God’s people throughout all of human history (or Pentecost, if you don’t include Israel). Regardless, I think it’s important to remember that when we are adopted into the family of God we are not by any means the only ones; there are a lot of those old boring dead guys who were bought by the blood of Christ and filled with the Holy Spirit too. And, many of them had really helpful things to say.

~Zak Fixler

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home