Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Future of the Library?


The only true equalizers in the world are books; the only treasure-house open to all comers is a library; the only wealth which will not decay is knowledge; the only jewel which you can carry beyond the grave is wisdom.
- J. A. Langford
No furniture is so charming as books.
- Sydney Smith

There has been a lot of debate in the media about ebooks, ereaders and tablets. It has become a badge of honor to be in a certain camp for either digital or print media, kind of on par with the Twilight obsessed fans of Team Jacob or Edward (insert eye rolling here). Personally I find myself in both media camps. I cannot say one media source is better than another, in fact I will probably be working with both for the remainder of my life. Will I buy an ereader? I believe I may, but I will be waiting for a reader that accomplishes all of my goals and wishlist of services. Will I give up my print library? For certain books I believe I may, but will I give up my classics? The books that I wish my future friends and children to read? Not at all.

{Geekiness warning} Growing up I watched whatever my dad had on and my most vivid memories are of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Jean Luc Picard is in my opinion the most awesome of all Star Trek captains, he has a amazing voice, he was kind to children and his crew, and he appreciated the Arts. In his quarters he played classical music and even had physical books lying around, but when we saw him reading he was always on his "tablet" reader. To me as a child that was the epitome of cool (that and when I discovered that Jordy was that guy on Reading Rainbow). When I hold a Kindle or Nook, I feel like I am on Star Trek reading awesome Classic books with style, much like Cpt. Picard.

So now you are probably wondering why I have brought up this meandering midst of memories? As a student at Philadelphia Biblical University you have been blessed with receiving an education that takes an interest in you and your worldview. We want our students to succeed, all the faculty and staff are here to invest ourselves in your future., That is a gift that shouldn't be taken lightly. Part of that investment is the Library and its databases and its physical offerings. Regardless of whether you prefer print or digital media we have resources for you. With over 70 databases and more than a 100,000 physical items on our shelves, we have and continue to develop our offerings to meet the needs of our students and their programs of study. So if you want to immerse yourself in the print resources you may do so, or if you are busy commuter who prefers working online you can conduct your research from your favorite wireless location. Whichever way suites you best than we are here to accommodate you. If you need pointers or have suggestions on how we can improve our services we would love to hear from you. You can contact us through "Ask a Librarian" or you can also make suggestions about items to acquire.

~Laura Saloiye

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home